If you’ve considered remodeling your kitchen, you must realize that such a task takes more than a couple of weeks. Even with the right kitchen remodeling team at your side, it’s going to take some time to develop and install your brand new kitchen. Of course, how long it takes depends on you and staying in touch with the team doing the construction.
What kind of timeline could you expect in a kitchen renovation?
Kitchen Remodel Planning (Between 2 and 8 Weeks)
The first step in the kitchen remodeling process is to talk with a Class A general contractor. For example, for people who need a kitchen remodeler in northern Virginia, there is Explore Kitchens of McLean, Va. Offering its services throughout many cities, including Alexandra, Arlington, Centreville, Fairfax, Falls Church, Great Falls, McLean, Oakton, and Vienna, the company can help you with your kitchen design.
It doesn’t matter if you need new kitchen flooring, new cabinets, new countertops, or you just want to change out the backsplash mosaics or go with a tile backsplash; this company can help you in every way!
When you contract a general contractor, it can take up to eight weeks to plan out every detail. How long it takes is dependent on the amount of pre-planning already done, what your availability timeline looks like, and how quickly you can make decisions. After you’ve come up with the style and layout, and you know what materials you want to use, you can begin the next stage of the project.
- Kitchen Remodeling Consultations – Talk about the project, choose your design, revise/finalize designs and sign contract to start work
- Consultation with In-Home Project Manager – Talk with a project manager, review measurements and plans and talk about project details to ensure a pleasant experience
- Order Cabinets – Place a custom cabinet order once plans are finalized including measurements
Planning The Project (Between 4 and 8 Weeks)
Once the final decisions have been made, you’ll place a custom cabinet order. As this cabinetry is being designed, the project manager will be working hard to bring together all the other details of the kitchen renovation – flooring, countertops, tiles, appliances, electrical, plumbing, etc.
- Suitable Project Tradesman Scheduled – All project tradesmen are given a date of when to arrive for their part of the project.
Kitchen Installation (Between 2 and 3 Weeks)
- Demolition (2 days minimum) –Your contractor will take out existing countertops, cabinets, and flooring while also removing your appliances for a time.
- Plumbing/Electrical (Up to 3 days) – Once your kitchen is cleared, a plumber and electrician will come in and get a sense of where you want your lighting, appliances, outlets, etc. They will develop a layout to accommodate your needs.
- Floor Installation (Up to 3 days) – If you plan to redo the floors of your kitchen, it’ll be done before the cabinets are installed. In the rest of the kitchen remodeling process, your general contractors will protect the new floors from damage. The space size and flooring material used can affect how long this takes.
- Cabinet Installation (Up to 5 days) – The general contractor will set up a day and time when the new cabinets should arrive at the site and be installed. Now, it can take up to five days for them to be installed, usually, depending on the number of cabinets you will have installed.
- Countertop Construction and Installation (Up to 14 days) – You’ll be provided a custom template for countertop construction. The process often happens after the bottom cabinets have been installed (especially for granite or quartz countertops). Once the template is designed, the countertops are then produced.
- Appliance and Plumbing Installation (Up to 2 days) – Once your cabinets are installed, the contractor deals with the plumbing and appliances, ensuring all is hooked up.
- Backsplash (Up to 3 days) – If the kitchen renovation involves a new backsplash, this is the point in time when it tends to be installed. Now, this can take up to two days, but two factors affect the timeline – design complexity and amount of tiles to install.
- Painting (Up to 2 days) – Painting and wall coverings occur at many points of the kitchen remodeling process. However, final touches can be done within a couple of days either by professionals or the homeowners themselves (if they have time or need to save some money).
Are you ready for your kitchen renovation project to start?
Reach out to Jason Kidwell, owner/operator of ExploreKitchens.com and owner of Explore Granite & Quartz of McLean, Va.
Reach out to Explore Kitchens by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 703-962-7510.
You can also sign up for the Explore email newsletter by texting EXPLOREKITCHENS to 22828
- 5 Easy Steps To Measure Your Kitchen